For When You Don’t Know what to Eat
One of the great things about keto is that it doesn’t have to be complicated. In fact, it can be very convenient! Keto Chow is one easy meal option with lots of variations to keep it easy, of course, but there are many ways to make keto cooking simple and fun.
Fat, protein, and a green!
This is a simple formula for well-rounded keto meals that makes life easy. Thinking of meals in terms of components can make mealtime a little simpler. Choose a fat, a protein and a low-carb green vegetable to add to your plate, and you’ll have a good meal anytime that can be as easy as pulling a few ingredients out of the fridge and chowing down!
Here are some ideas:
- Egg salad is fat and protein all in one, add cucumber slices and you’ve got your green. Voila!
- Bacon and sliced turkey equal fat and protein, wrap them in lettuce leaves with mayo and mustard and you’ve got your green. Voila again!
- Tuna in olive oil with zucchini noodles is a fat, protein, green combination that takes all of five minutes to make. You get the idea.
- Buffalo chicken dip with celery sticks.
- Shrimp salad in half an avocado.
- Italian sausage with broccoli rabe.
- Bratwurst and cabbage.
When in doubt about what to eat, just remember that simple formula to build a keto meal whether you cook or just assemble cold foods.
A Keto Chow intermission
You already know you can make a satisfying shake or a savory soup in just a few minutes with Keto Chow, but did you know you can use it to make a huge variety of easy recipes?
- Overnight breakfast “oats”.
- Lattes, hot chocolate, or spiced chai come together in minutes for a tasty morning drink that will actually keep you full.
- Mix the ingredients for Keto Chow hot “cereal” and add piping hot water for a warming dish you can eat with a spoon.
- Mix your favorite flavor of Keto Chow into plain yogurt, and top with a few berries, nuts or seeds for a quick, satisfying meal.
- Add vegetables, cheeses, different fats, and seasonings to Keto Chow Soups for really easy hot meals.
Looking for more? The Keto Chow Kitchen recipe archives is a great place to get inspired.
Make food ahead of time
My last tip for today is to maximize any meal prep work or cooking that you already do, to make for easier meals later. Here are some ideas to help you get the most out of your time in the kitchen, so that you’ll have easy meals ready at a moment’s notice.
- Many keto dishes freeze well, so next time you make keto quiche or casserole, make an extra batch to freeze.
- Buy some keto rolls (or make your own) to keep in the freezer, ready to toast and spread with cream cheese and lox or make a grilled cheese to accompany your favorite Keto Chow soup.
- When you cook bacon, boil eggs, steam vegetables, or wash greens, prep some extra that you can throw into a quick salad.
- Make large batches of your favorite salad dressings and sauces so they will be there when you need them.
- Freeze single portions of avocado and berries for quick smoothies.
Remember, keto should make you feel good! Having options for those times when you just aren’t sure what to put on the table will help keep it enjoyable and convenient.