Vanilla Cream Tarts with Fresh Berries
- Mini tart pans, fine mesh sieve
- 1 serving Vanilla Keto Chow
- 1/2 cup fine almond flour (2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup granulated erythritol (2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup melted butter (2 ounces)
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract or half a vanilla bean
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup granulated allulose (2 ounces)
- 2 tbsp Vanilla Keto Chow
- 2 pints fresh berries like raspberries, blackberries, blueberries & strawberries washed & dried
- small edible flowers such as pansies or nasturtiums
- fresh mint leaves
- To make the tart shells, preheat the oven to 325℉ and oil six mini tart pans.
- Mix the Keto Chow, almond flour, and erythritol together in a bowl.
- Stir in the melted butter until all the dry ingredients are coated.
- Add the egg white and vanilla extract and stir until it comes together into a soft dough.
- Separate into 6 equal pieces and press into the oiled tart pans.
- If the dough is very soft or it is very warm in the kitchen, chill the prepared tart shells for 10-20 minutes before baking.
- Prick the bottom of each shell with a fork in two or three places to allow steam to release while baking.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes, until brown and firm to the touch. The bottoms should be lightly browned when removed from the tart pan. If they seem too soft to remove from the pans place them back in the oven for another minute or two until they feel firmer.
- Place on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make the pastry cream, split the vanilla bean with a small knife and scrape the seeds from inside the pod.
- Place the pod and the seeds in a small saucepan with one cup of heavy cream.
- Heat the cream over medium heat until it comes to a low simmer.
- While the cream heats, whisk the egg yolks with the allulose in a separate bowl until light and frothy.
- When the cream is beginning to simmer, stir about 1/4 cup of it into the beaten egg yolks, then stir the mix back into the pan of cream.
- Stir over low heat until it begins to thicken. It is ready when it coats the back of a spoon and holds a stripe when a finger is run through it.
- Strain it through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl and whisk in the 2 tablespoons Keto Chow, being sure to mix well
- Refrigerate the cream until well chilled.
- Whip the remaining cup of heavy cream to soft peaks and fold it into the chilled pastry cream.
- When ready to serve, fill the cooled tart shells with the prepared pastry cream and arrange the berries on top. Decorate with the flowers and mint leaves.
- These tarts are best served within a couple hours of assembling. However, the components can be made ahead and stored in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to three days.